Prospects for the transformation of Russian statehood
- Is it fair to call modern Russia an empire? If so, is it possible (and necessary) to transform it into a nation:state?
- How do Russia and the USSR relate? Should post:Putin Russia keep the preservation of succession with the USSR, or declare itself the successor of the Historical Russia that existed before 1917, or abandon all succession by starting statehood from scratch?
- The optimal form of government for future Russia.
- What impact will the Crimea question have on the historical prospects of Russia? Is its resolution possible in the foreseeable future?
- Is lustration a prerequisite for the transition from totalitarianism to democracy?
Moderator: Elena Galkina – political analyst, Ph.D. in History
Speakers: Igor Chubais – sociologist, publicist; Pavel Ivlev – lawyer, Executive Director of KRES Poliskola; Ivan Tyutrin – politician, cofounder of the Free Russia Forum; Daniil Konstantinov – political émigré, former political prisoner